One of the first decisions you as a birth mother will need to make is to choose an adoption agency to support your adoption plan. Finding an adoption agency can be daunting and frustrating with so many agencies trying to get the attention of birth parents via print advertising, social media, and internet sites. It is important that a birth parent work with an agency where they feel comfortable and confident.
As you research adoption agencies they should consider the following. An adoption agency should:
- Guarantee the birth parents that they have the right to make their own decisions regarding the placement of their child without influence.
- Educate the birth family regarding all their adoption options and parenting options.
- Allow and encourage the birth family to choose the adoptive family for their child (via meetings with prospective adoptive families or family profiles).
- Support the birth family and prospective adoptive family as they build a relationship (if wanted).
- Never influence or pressure the birth parent(s) into a decision.
- Help the birth family get a lawyer.
- Assist the birth family to get needed services (e.g. housing, maternity clothing, prenatal medical care, etc)
- Support the birth family’s emotional needs and provide counseling services (if wanted).
- Be available to provide emotional support to the birth parent’s extended family (if needed).
- Make sure that any agreed upon post-adoption contact is honored.
- Be available 24/7 to provide support to the birth family.
The right adoption agency is key to ensuring a positive and successful outcome for you, the birth father (if involved), the adoptive family and the baby.
Family Connections, Inc., an authorized New York State adoption agency, provides all the services needed to support birth parent(s) as they make an adoption plan for their child. the Agency has been serving birth families since 1994. The Agency is able to support birth mothers from most States and has hands-on services in New York State.
To learn more about your adoption options, please contact Anita or Renee at 607-756-6574 or 1-800-535-5556 or email@example.com. All calls and e-mails are confidential and all services are free!
You can also learn more by downloading the free guide below. We look forward to supporting you!