Are you considering adoption? What are your choices? If you are thinking about adopting a child then you will want to explore all of your options and the best choices for your family. It is important to educate yourself about the many different options in adoption. Here are some things to consider when researching adoption:
- Read books, articles and online blogs on adoption.
- Talk with someone you know has adopted a child
- Research adoption agencies; ask questions about the agency process and options. Finding the right agency for your adoption is important.
- Attend free adoption information seminars held by adoption professionals. Some agencies offer group seminars and some offer one-on-one consultations to help families explore their options.
- Learning as much as possible about the adoption process will help you make the best choices for yourself and your family.
- Exploring all the options available to you will help to prepare you for the adoption process and help you make an informed choice.
- Join an adoption support group where you can meet and talk with parents who have already adopted or are in the process of adopting.
Ask yourself these questions as you educate yourself about adoption:
- Why do I want to adopt?
- What kind of adoption do I want? Domestic (open, semi-open, or confidential) or International
- What age child do I want to adopt?
- What race, ethnicity or gender of child do I want to adopt?
- Do I want to adopt a child with special needs?
- What countries are open for International adoption?
- What are the fees for adoption?
- How do I afford adoption?
- How do I choose an adoption agency?
- How do I talk to my family about adopting a child?
- How do I talk with my child about adoption?
- Am I prepared to care for a child with special needs?
- How long can we expect to wait before a child is placed with us?
- How old are the children that are available for international adoption?
There are many resources for information on adoption, books, online websites, local support groups and adoption professionals. Family Connections, Inc. provides information regarding professional resources available to support your adoption including: medical experts, behavioral specialists, adoption support groups, adoptive family publications, and adoption professional organizations. Please understand that this Agency is providing you this listing of adoption resources to assist you in your search for needed services. Family Connections, Inc. does not endorse nor recommend any particular service provider or group. Click here to view the list of resources.
Family Connections Inc. is a New York State authorized child placing agency that is Hague Accredited by the Council on Accreditation. Our agency offers a free, personal, no-obligation consultation to help you understand the adoption options available to you. Family Connections provides home study services throughout New York State. Our agency also provides post adoption and post placement supervision, adoption counseling, Primary Provider services for Pakistan and Ukraine and support for birth mothers and birth fathers who are considering placing their child for adoption.
If you would like to talk with Anita or Renee to learn more about adoption, you can reach the agency at 607-756-6574 or 1-800-535-5556 or email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org