So you are thinking about adopting a child. The best place to start is educating yourself about the many different facets of adoption. You may want to start by reading books and articles on adoption or talking with someone you know who has adopted. Learning as much as possible about the adoption process and the many options that are open to you will help you make the best choices for yourself and your family. There are many resources that can help you understand the different types of domestic adoption, and the different options in international adoption. By learning more about the many options available to you as an adoptive parent you can then make informed choices to be sure you are forming the best adoption plan for success. The more research you do at the beginning of the adoption process the more prepared you will be when you bring your child home. There are various support groups surrounding adoption where can you can gain insight and help from those who have already been through the process. Spending time researching different agencies will also help you find the agency that is right for you.
Ask yourself these questions as you educate yourself about adoption:
- Why do I want to adopt?
- What kind of adoption do I want? Domestic (open, semi-open, or confidential) or International
- What age child do I want to adopt?
- What race, ethnicity or gender of child do I want to adopt?
- Do I want to adopt a child with special needs?
- What countries are open for International adoption?
- What are the fees for adoption?
- How do I afford adoption?
- How do I choose and adoption agency?
- How do I talk to my family about adopting a child?
- How do I talk with my child about adoption?
- Am I prepared to care for a child with special needs?
- How long can we expect to wait before a child is placed with us?
- How old are the children that are available for international adoption?
There are many resources for information on adoption, books, online websites, local support groups and adoption professionals. Family Connections, Inc. provides information regarding professional resources available to support your adoption including: medical experts, behavioral specialists, adoption support groups, adoptive family publications, and adoption professional organizations. Please understand that this Agency is providing you this listing of adoption resources to assist you in your search for needed services. Family Connections, Inc. does not endorse nor recommend any particular service provider or group. Click here to view the list of resources.
If you would like to talk with Anita or Renee to learn more about adoption, you can reach the agency at 607-756-6574 or 1-800-535-5556. Family Connections, Inc. also offers a free, personal, no-obligation consultation to help you understand the adoption options available to you. Family Connections, Inc. is a New York State authorized adoption agency who has achieved Hague Accreditation from the Council on Accreditation. Family Connections provides adoption services throughout New York State including in Syracuse, Rochester, Cortland, Binghamton, Elmira, Corning, Watertown, Albany, New York City, and all towns in between. We look forward to supporting your adoption plans.
For more information on Family Connections, Inc. and adoption you can download our Family Connections magazine by clicking on the link below.