If you are considering international adoption and are overwhelmed with the cost of adoption, take a moment to learn more about the services involved with international adoption and the costs assoicated with those services. When you look at the cost of international adoption, look beyond the dollar amount for a moment and consider that it is an investment in a child. The cost associated with international adoption may seem high but consider the array of services included in this cost.
Services Associated with International Adoption:
- Professional services (e.g. home study investigation, child background checks, travel preparation, adoptive placement, post-adoption supervision/support)
- Document preparation (e.g. dossier authentication)
- Foreign government adoption fees
- Child care fees (e.g. orphanage donation)
- Passport and visa fees
- Travel expenses (e.g. airline tickets, food and lodging)
The cost estimates associated with your specific adoption plan will be provided to you by your International Adoption Placement Agency (aka Primary Provider). Depending upon your adoption plan, inter-country adoption costs can range from an average of $25,000 to $40,000. All fees paid in relation to your inter-county adoption are for necessary goods and services.
So how can you invest in the life of a child and obtain the needed resources for your inter-country adoption? What can you do to afford international adoption?
Here are some tips to consider:
- Save, Save, Save (find ways to save money within your current household budget)
- Delay unnecessary expenses (e.g. remodel the bathroom another year, drive your car for a couple more years)
- Have fundraisers (e.g. rummage and/or bake sale, t-shirt sale)
- Encourage your family to gift you with adoption money instead of gifts on your birthday and holidays
- Ask a family member to gift you a part of the adoption
- Secure a loan interest loan (e.g. home equity line of credit, bank loan)
- Apply for grant money - there are many organizations that provide grants to families adopting internationally
- Remember that there is a Federal Tax Credit for Adoption
For more information on affording international adoption, more ideas and links to loan, grant and fundraising opportunities check out our resources page. You can also find more information on international adoption through our International Adoption Overview guide which you can download by clicking on the link below.
Family Connections, Inc. is a New York State authorized adoption agency which has achieved Hague Accreditation through the Council on Accreditation. If you would like more information on international adoption you can contact Anita or Renee at 607-756-6574 or 1-800-535-5556. Family Connections, Inc. offers international home study services and post adoption supervision services for families adopting internationally. The Agency supports families throughout New York State including Syracuse, Binghamton, Elmira, Rochester, Albany, Utica, Watertown, New York City and all towns in between. We would be honored to support your family's adoption!