Adoptive parents in New York State have a variety of adoption serivces available to support them and their adoption plans. Persons who wish to adopt a child have many choices. Prospective adoptive parents can choose to build their family through domestic or international adoption.
The first step in the adoption process for prospective parents who wish to adopt domestically, is to contact a New York State authorized adoption agency. Family Connections, Inc. has been authorized by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services since 1994.
The first step in the adoption process for prospective parents who wish to adopt internationally, is to contact a New York State authorized adoptoin agency that has also achieved Hague Accreditation from the Council on Accrediation. Family Connectoins, Inc. has supported families adopting from foreign countries for over twenty years and has been Hague Accrediated since 2014.
Family Connections, Inc. provide the following services for prospective adoptive parents:
- Pre-adoption education and counseling services for families thinking about adoption; exploration of adoption options (domestic and international adoption)
- Home study investigation services for domestic and international adoption (please note not all adoption agencies provide home study services for families adopting internationally; Family Connections, Inc. does!)
- Adoption counseling, education and training
- Post-adoption placement support and supervision services for domestic and international adoption
- Domestic infant placement services including ... Home study services; Matching prospective adoptive parents with birth families; Development and on-going maintenance of closed or open adoption agreements; Placement of an infant into the adoptive parents' home; Post-placement supervision and support; and Assistance with adoption finalization
- International adoption support services including ... Home study services; Referral to international adoption placement agencies (aka Primary Provider); Technical assistance regarding international adoption paperwork requirements; Assistance with processes required by Citizenship and Immigration services; Assistance with dossier preparation and authenication; and Post-adoption support and supervision
- Primary provider services for families adopting from Ukraine and Pakistan
- Consultation services for childhood professionals (e.g. teachers, medical providers)
- Assistance with locating and placing a child(ren) available for adoption from the US foster care system
- Facilitation of inter-state adoption requirements for domestic adoption (private or public)
- Referral to adoption attorneys
- Referral to community based resources for the child and family (e.g. adoption support networks, therapists, doctors, educators)
Every New York State agency offeres an array of adoption services for adoptive parents. Finding the right agency for you is important. You need to find an agency that ...
- Offers the services you need
- Has the expertise to support your adoption plan
- Ensures your right to self-determination (allows you to make your own decisions and does not influence your adoption plan)
- Has the experience and resources needed to assist you through the adoption process and support you and your child's needs post-adoption
- Is responsive and timely in the provision of their services
- Is available to support your needs for informational and emotional support throughout your adoption