Open adoption provides for an on-going relationship between the adopted child, the adoptive parents, and the birth parent(s). The child may develop a relationship with his/her birth family through the exchange of pictures and letters, and/or e-mails and phone conversations, and/or face-to-face visitation throughout their childhood. Each relationship is unquie and the level of closeness is dependent upon the strength and type of relationship developed between the birth parent(s), adoptive parents and child. Open adoption relationships are built upon trust, respect, and mutual feelings. The wishes of the child, the birth parent(s), and the adoptive parents are honored. The open relationship is guided by the best interest of the child.
Open adoption relationships benefit the child, adoptive parents, and birth parents. An open adoption relationship can give the adopted child:
- A sense of peace regarding their birth parent(s) decision to place them into a loving adoptive family
- A feeling of connection with and between their birth parent(s) and adoptive parents
- A first hand knowledge and true understanding of their birth parent's circumstances and reasons for adoptive placement
- A comfort in knowing who their birth parent(s) are; no need to imagine or fantasize about who their birth parent(s) may be
- The confidence that if genetic history is needed for their medical care that it would be available from the birth parent(s)
- The opportunity to share with their birth parent(s) their acocomplishments
- And many more benefits...
Open adoption is a loving choice for a child and his/her adoptive family and birth family. Family Connections, Inc., an authorized adoption agency, supports birth parents and adoptive parents as they make adoption plans. Family Connections supports and respects the rights of birth families and adoptive families to make their own decisions regarding adoption. The agency provides life-long support to adopted children, their adoptive parents, and their birth parents. Family Connections supports open adoption relationships to ensure the child's best interests are served, and the birth parent(s) and adoptive parents wishes are honored.
To learn more about your adoption options, including open adoption, please contact Anita or Renee at 1-800-535-5556 or email@example.com. We look forward to supporting your adoption plans. All services to brith parents are free and confidential!