There are many children in Bulgaria hoping for a family to call their own. Do you have room in your heart and home for a child in need. So here is a little bit about the process:
Who can adopt?
- Adoptive Parents 25 years old and up
- Single Women
- Adoptive parents over 55 would be eligible to adopt a child 4 years old and up
- Adoptive Parents must be at least 15 years older than the child they are adopting
- Adoptive parents should not have a criminal record
What children are available?
- Children 18 months to 15 years old
- Children are in orphanages and foster homes
- Most children are of Bulgarian ethnicity or mixed ancestry such as Roma or Gypsy
- The children have an olive complexion, brown eyes, and dark brown or black hair
- Parental rights have either been terminated or signed over
- Sibling groups are common and are likely ages 3 years and up
- Children can be healthy or have special needs
What is the process?
- You will need a primary provider and home study agency
- Once your home study is completed it is submitted with your I800a application to USCIS for approval
- After you have received I800a approval you will start and complete your dossier
- Your application and dossier is submitted with the Ministry of Justice and you will wait for a referral
- The length of time for a referral depends on a lot of factors such as:
- Age of child requested
- Gender of child requested
- Special and medical needs the family will accept
- The registry date of dossier with the Ministry of Justice
6. Accept or decline the referral. If accepted then you will travel to meet the child.
7. The first trip will occur shortly after you accept a referral and will last about a week. You will visit the child and sign the "Intent to Adopt" paperwork.
8. The second trip occurs once the adoption is completed overseas and the passport for the child has been obtained. You will visit the embassy and medical clinic with your child on this trip. Typically, this trip is about a week in duration and you will travel home with your child.
9. Once you are home you will have post adoption supervision to complete, 4 reports in 2 years.
If you would like to learn more about our Bulgaria adoption program please contact us by clicking on the link below or give us a call 607-756-6574.
Family Connections is a New York State authorized adoption agency who is also Hague accredited. Family Connections home study and post adoption services for all of New York State. We are also a primary provider for adoptions from Belize, Bulgaria, Hungary, Honduras, Jamaica and Pakistan.