If you are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy? Have you gone over your options again and again in your head? If so, you have likely come to this page because you are wondering about your adoption options. Before you decide on adoption, it is important to start asking yourself and an adoption professional some questions.
- Why do I want to place my baby for adoption?
- Will my family and friends support my decisions? If not, where will I find support?
- Have I explored all of my options?
- Does the baby's father need to know about or agree with my decision?
An adoption agency like Family Connections, Inc. can give you information that will help you answer these questions and support you while you make an adoption plan, during placement and after you give birth and place your baby with an adoptive family.
If you decide to place your baby with an adoptive family, you will have more decisions to make. Know that all of the choices you make are yours and yours alone. An adoption agency like Family Connections can educate you about all of your options, help you find a lawyer, help connect you with any services you might need, provide counseling and generally provide you with support as you make your adoption plan. Before making your decisions, it is important to ask yourself more questions, such as:
- What type of family do I want to place by child with? (i.e. religion, two-parent family, single parent family, hetero- or homo-sexual couple, siblings, race, etc. You can also choose to have your agency pick the family.)
- Do I want to meet the adoptive family before the birth and form a relationship with them?
- What level of openness do I want with the adoptive family? (i.e. letters & pictures, visits, no contact at all, etc.)
- How do I want my hospital plan to go? (i.e. have adoptive family present for the birth or invite them to hospital after, or have your social worker place your baby with the family)
Remember that until your baby is born your adoption plan is just a plan. Nothing is official until after you have given birth and you make the final decision to place your child with an adoptive family. You can change your mind and alter your plan at any time.
If you have any questions about the adoption process or would like to learn more about your adoption options, please feel free to contact us. We keep all of your information 100% confidential and services are always free for birth parents. You can get in touch with Anita or Dan by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or dan@adoptfamilyconnections,org give us a call at (607)756-6574 or (800)535-5556, or click the button below to ask us your adoption questions.