<iframe src="//www.googletagmanager.com/ns.html?id=GTM-K36PZ8" height="0" width="0" style="display:none;visibility:hidden">

Family Connections, Inc. Blog

Let us help you.



Subscribe to Email Updates

Popular Stories

Writing Adoption Reference Letters
What Names Do You Put In The Aka Or Alias Section Of Forms?
Adoption Reference Letters - How To
Pakistan Adoption FAQs
What to Expect During An Adoption Home Visit
Written by Family Connections
on March 21, 2019

family    Pakistan_Adoption-2  child


To adopt a child from Pakistan one or both parents need to be a citizen of the United States. The process in Pakistan is not an adoption process but is a guardianship process. USCIS does not recognize the guardianship in Pakistan to be a full and final adoption so you will need to finalize the adoption in your state of residence in the US. 

  • Call Family Connections and receive an inquiry packet
  • Apply to Family Connections for Primary Provider services for Pakistan 
  • Choose a Home Study Provider 
    • if you live outside of NY we can help you locate one
    • if you are in NY Family Connections will do your home study 
  • Do Hague required training 
    • We provide this free for our families through Creating a Family
  • Pay Primary Provider fees
  • Family Connections reviews and approves the home study
  • Prepay post placement report cost to home study agency and $5000 refundable deposit fee to Family Connections.
  • Finalize Home Study process (takes average of 3-4 months)
  • Submit I600A
    • Family Connections will complete the forms and mail them to you with all required documents
  • Receive I600A approval – can take 3 months or more. 
    • The approval is good for 18 months 
    • Bio-metric Fingerprints are good for 15 months
  • If you are seeking the guardianship of a relative child and are intending to immigrate the child to the US you will also need a home study provider and a primary provider and to complete the I600a process. You will also be required to retain an immigration attorney.
  • Apply to adopt from:
    • government orphanage or 
    • private orphanage that Family Connections has an approved agreement with.
  • Travel to Pakistan
  • Visit orphanages and locate a child
  • Stay in contact with your Primary Provider about the child and the process
    • Does the child meet orphan status?
  • File for guardianship of the child in the Pakistan Family Courts
    • No other agency in the United States or in Pakistan has the legal authority to match and place a child in your family.  Only the Family Court in Pakistan has the authority.
  • Do additional training as recommended by Family Connections
  • Electronically sign an Acceptance of a Child Referral Form
  • Complete and send Child Information Form to Family Connections
  • Obtain/review a medical on the child. Form provided by Family Connections
  • Engage an attorney in Pakistan, after consulting with Family Connections
  • Receive Guardianship Order and Guardianship Certificate – send/email to Family Connections
  • Get new birth certificate for child
  • Get Pakistan passport for the child
  • Fill in I 600 Form. Family Connections or your attorney if applicable can help.
  • Submit I600 in Pakistan 
  • Submit DS260 online
  • Get visa medical for the child
  • Have US Visa Interview
  • Receive Visa (IR4)
  • Travel back to US
  • Apply for tax id# if you will not finalize in the United States by April 15th
  • Finish required post placement visits 
    • 2-6 visits depending on your state of residence
    • Two are required by Family Connections, at one and 6 months after arriving home
  • Submit petition and finalize adoption of child placement in US Court 
  • Send Order of Adoption to Family Connections
  • Apply for social security card, US passport and Certificate of Citizenship for the child
  • Send all necessary documents to Family Connections
  • Receive $5000.00 deposit or balance of the deposit (if you have used part of it for finalization) back as soon as Family Connections has both required post placements as well as a copy of the child’s Pakistan passport, visa, birth certificate, medical information, guardianship documents, child information form, and proof of finalization


If you would like more information on adopting a child from Pakistan you can request it below or contact us at 607-756-6574 and speak with Dan or Angela. One of our adoption caseworkers will call you, explain the process and send you an inquiry packet. Family Connections has been working with families of Pakistani heritage to adopt from Pakistan since 2015. We would be honored to help you with your adoption plans. 

Click for a Consultation and to have a Pakistan Fee Schedule + Inquiry Packet  emailed to You!

*The Immigration and Nationality Act provides a definition of an orphan for the purposes of immigration to the United States.  A child may be considered an orphan because of the death or disappearance of, abandonment or desertion by, or separation or loss from, both parents.  The child of an unwed mother or surviving parent may be considered an orphan if that parent is unable to care for the child properly and has, in writing, irrevocably released the child for emigration and adoption.  The child of an unwed mother may be considered an orphan, as long as the mother does not marry (which would result in the child’s having a stepfather) and as long as the child’s biological father has not legitimated the child.  If the father legitimates the child or the mother marries, the mother is no longer considered a sole parent.  The child of a surviving parent may also be an orphan if the surviving parent has not married since the death of the other parent (which would result in the child’s having a stepfather or stepmother).

Note: Prospective adoptive parents should be sure that a child fits the definition of “orphan” before adopting a child from another country, because not all children adopted abroad meet the definition of “orphan,” and therefore may not be eligible to immigrate to the United States.

Let Us Know What You Thought about this Post.

Put your Comment Below.

You may also like:

Talking with Your Child About Adoption

It is important to talk with your child about adoption from the very start.

Supporting Adopted Children During the Holiday Season

Discover meaningful ways to support adopted children during the holiday season and create lasting memories.

International Adoption Services

Orphaned children from around the world need forever adoptive families. Families wishing to adopt a child(ren) from a fo...