Birth mothers are courageous women. We honor the many sacrifices they make to bring a child into the world and their decision to place the child into an adoptive family. These women are inspiring in so many ways:
- They are strong beyond belief for choosing life for their unborn child and putting the child’s needs before their own.
- They are most likely struggling to keep going. They are fighting the pressure from society to parent their child and fielding comments from others who do not understand her need to place her baby for adoption. They have to forge forward and be determined in their plan.
- They love their child more than anyone will know, they are after all putting the needs and wants of this child first. They want more for their child and they are willing to endure the pain of losing their child through adoption.
- They go forward knowing they will experience grief and loss in placing their child but they know this is the best thing they can do.
- They are trusting you as the adoptive parents to follow through on your promise of open adoption. She just wants to know her baby is happy, healthy and living the life she wanted for him or her by you providing her with pictures, letters and even visits.
- Through a birth mother’s struggles and loss she brings joy and love to an adoptive family. She is giving the greatest gift to a couple wanting to be a family.
For these reasons we celebrate birth mothers and the incredible women they are. It is important to remember the adoption triad: birth parent, child, and adoptive parents and through the process of adoption they are forever connected in a unique way. Honoring your promise to a birth mother is the one thing you can do to show her how much you respect her and how grateful you are for the beautiful child you now have in your life.
Family Connections, Inc. is an approved New York State child placing agency who has received Hague accreditation through the Council on Accreditation. Family Connections works with birth parents to help them explore their adoption options. Family Connections works with adoptive families to provide home study services, and post placement/post adoption services throughout New York State. If you are experiencing an unplanned pregnancy and want to explore your options or if you are interested in learning more about becoming an adoptive parent, you can contact Anita or Renee at 607-756-6574 or 1-800-535-5556.